The beauty of this cake is the sponge and meringue cook at the same time. It's a really great recipe which impresses every time.
Cook 40-45 minutes
150g softened butter
250g caster sugar
165g natural yogurt
½ tsp vanilla paste
200g self raising flour
3 egg whites
135g caster sugar
pinch of cream of tartar
100ml double cream
75g lemon curd
1. Grease and line a 22cm deep cake tin. Pre-heat your oven to 180°C.
2. Whisk the butter and sugar together, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and beat until combined. Add the yogurt and vanilla and mix thoroughly. Add the flour and fold in until thoroughly incorporated. Pour into a prepared tin. Scatter the blueberries over the sponge.
3. Place the egg whites into a large bowl. Add a pinch of cream of tartare and whisk until stiff. Add the sugar a spoonful at a time and whisk well after each addition. Once all the sugar is incorporated you should have a thick glossy meringue. Spread this over the sponge leaving a 1cm gap around the edge, allowing for the meringue to spread when baked.
4. Bake for 40-45 minutes, insert a skewer and check if the sponge is cooked. If not return to the oven for a few minutes more. Remove from the oven and cool in the tin for a few minutes then place on a wire rack.
5. Make the topping by whisking the double cream until thick. Mix with the mascarpone. Stir the lemon curd through the cream.
6. Place the cooled cake onto a cake stand or serving plate. Spread the lemon cream on top of the meringue and scatter over the blueberries.